San Diego Soliloquies

Wednesday, November 03, 2004

Things That Are Good For The Soul

So I've been remiss for quite some time in keeping up this little one way conversation. I've been working, damn hard, to create some software, and try to get a good man elected President. I only batted .500 and it's left a hole in my heart.

On a day like today you walk softly, carefully, and speak with consideration. The people I know hurt too, and it's a hurt that can intensify, swallow your hope and tomorrow, if you're not careful. You have to read things that are good for your soul, like this powerful confessional/meditation by Steve Gilliard about his horrific illness. You have to spend some time in quiet, thinking deeply about who you are and what you will do. But you also have to be there for the people around you. You can't do this alone, and you shouldn't try.

There are a lot of ways to react to what happened, and I've run through them all. Lash out in anger, run to another country, stay and fight. Each is seductive. I'm trying to channel the first to power the third, while leaving the second as an option. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Update: Fixed the link to Steve's place


Comments:
I'm bummed about the election too, but I found that writing about it in my blog helped a lot.

The link to the confessional about the horrific illness is broken.

But I know from horrific illnesses. I've got one doozy.
 
Thanks, fixed the link
 
Post a Comment

Home
San Diego Soliloquies