San Diego Soliloquies

Monday, January 26, 2004

Failing the Turing Test

So my email has been a bit hair-raising recently. "US Bank" told me that my accounts were frozen, "Visa" told me someone might have stolen my credit card, and, to top it off, the "FDIC" told me that:

    In cooperation with the Department Of Homeland Security, Federal, State and Local Governments your account has been denied insurance from the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation due to suspected violations of the Patriot Act. While we have only a limited amount of evidence gathered on your account at this time it is enough to suspect that currency violations may have occurred in your account and due to this activity we have withdrawn Federal Deposit Insurance on your account until we verify that your account has not been used in a violation of the Patriot Act.
    As a result Department Of Homeland Security Director Tom Ridge has advised the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation to suspend all deposit insurance on your account until such time as we can verify your identity and your account information.

Golly, Tom Ridge got involved personally! Gee!

Needless to say these were frauds, all of them asking me to press a little button, answer a few simple questions, and it will all be cleared up. "All" in this context meaning any checking or credit accounts they could get access to. I am vaguely intrigued as to their hit rate. They've almost got the message right. That paranoid style fits the zeigeist of some folks so well. You know, with a little tweaking I betcha they hook Lileks or Reynolds.

Ah well, it's a nice change from the people who are solicitous of the size, length and performance of my and, (looking over her shoulder as she opens her mailbox) my wife's, penis.


Comments: Post a Comment

Home
San Diego Soliloquies