San Diego Soliloquies

Friday, November 21, 2003

Another Worthy Thanksgiving Charity

The supermarket strike drags on here in Southern California. The three markets involved had all agreed to pool their resources for the strike, something that sounds more than a little illegal to me. But I don't know the subtleties of labor law, and I'm sure that Elaine Chao's Labor Department is too busy on web chats to bother with this trifle.

According to my reading of the strike, the issues are: The stores want to create two pay tiers, with new hires permanently paid below current hires, and health insurance. Politically I believe this strike is part of the process of straightening out our health insurance mess, so I support the strikers. You can too, at this website that provides Thanksgiving turkeys to the strikers and their families.


Comments: Post a Comment

Home
San Diego Soliloquies